WEB DEVELOPER — ENTRY-LEVEL POSITION
Design Action is currently seeking applicants for an entry level Web Developer with the goal of training into a full-time co-ownership position upon completion of apprenticeship program.
Want to use your skills as a Web Developer to serve movements for social justice? Come join a unique team of designers & developers — who are also activists, organizers, cultural workers, artists and musicians — and become a part of our fast paced, mission driven shop. Sharing in the ownership of our cooperative business is both exciting and rewarding.
We are an 13 person worker-owned design and communications studio. Our shop was founded in 2002 and is located in downtown Oakland, California. We are committed to providing high-quality visual communications tools to progressive, non-profit, and grassroots activist organizations. We are majority women and people of color owned.
The Apprenticeship is full-time (37.5hrs/wk) and will run from 12-16 months, depending on progress made in technical and other job skills. The apprentice will take instruction and supervision from senior collective members on projects and will also have the opportunity to learn about running a businesses cooperatively. Apprentice Training Wage is $21/hr + excellent benefits. Upon completion of apprenticeship program, pay will increase to match standard collective rate of $23/hr + benefits.*
The candidate will be eligible for ownership position after completing a 9 month Collective Track.
The apprentice will primarily focus on:
- Web programming in WordPress.
- Learn web development process, and how to work with clients
- Interest and involvement in progressive social change work and/or worker-owned cooperatives
- Agreement with our Points of Unity
- Good working knowledge of basic HTML/CSS
- Familiarity with industry standard software – (Sketch, Adobe CS)
- Portfolio containing code samples and project examples
- Ability to juggle multiple projects
- Sense of humor (very important)
- Attention to detail & appreciation for design
- Fast learner
- Basic experience with web design
- Experience with and/or understanding of open-source content management systems (e.g. WordPress, Joomla, Drupal) and/or PHP and MySQL
- Basic understanding of website information architecture
- Good working knowledge of basic SASS (Syntactically Awesome StyleSheets)
- Experience doing development for iPhone, iPad, mobile devices, and tablets
- Experience with project management
- Experience with office or small business management
- Experience with information architecture, UX design, user testing design and quality assurance
- Experience with collective decision-making
- Interest and/or experience with business ownership (all our hires are put on a path of collective ownership of our business)
WOMEN, GENDER NON-CONFORMING PEOPLE, AND PEOPLE OF COLOR STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
E-mail letters of interest, resumes and questions to email@example.com. No phone calls please. We will read e-mails carefully, and respond to any questions you have.
* Pay rates are not negotiable.