Website A Yard and a Half
The Field Operations Manager will oversee installation and maintenance by 9 landscaping crews throughout the greater Boston area. S/he will manage and develop crew leaders, ensuring that they have the technical skills, organization, and motivation needed to do excellent work. As a member of our People Management Team, the Field Operations Manager should be highly knowledgeable, professional, and bring enthusiasm and new ideas to the workplace.
● Manage daily field operations in accordance with company policies to ensure that crews meet stated goals through efficient use of time, man-power, equipment, and materials.
● Prepare field employees by establishing and conducting orientation and training programs.
● Provide hands-on training in proper installation, specifications, operation of equipment, safety, and quality standards.
● Develop crew leaders’ ability to independently plan their crew’s work: daily, weekly, and over the course of a whole project.
● Provide regular, productive feedback on performance, and initiate disciplinary process for field employees as needed.
● Perform quality control checks at work sites to ensure customer satisfaction.
● Ensure accurate and timely completion of field staff paperwork and online
timesheets daily; follow up on discrepancies.
● Work with HR/Admin Manager to ensure consistent implementation and
enforcement of company HR, health & safety policies.
● As necessary, adjust crew composition or perform hands-on work with crews to
meet scheduling demands.
● Oversee and manage field staff every morning at garage, ensuring that crews
leave in a timely fashion, ready to complete their day’s goals.
● Minimum of six years as a landscape construction crew leader or equivalent experience/training
● Driver’s license, good driving record, and ability to apply for hoisting license
Field Operations Manager 1 of 2
● Demonstrated ability to carry out and instruct others in correct landscape installation and maintenance practices, including, but not limited to:
● Ability to assess and adjust for site conditions, soils, drainage, and grade changes
● Proven skill in project planning, set-up, and mobilization
● Ability to lay out sites and construct landscape features based on landscape
plans and specifications.
● Time management, self-direction, flexibility, and ability to problem-solve in a
● Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills
● Ability to exercise discretion, manage sensitive situations, and maintain
● Clear, timely, and professional oral communication with co-workers and the
● Strong attention to detail
● Proficiency in oral and written Spanish and English